Monday, June 6, 2011

Is being passive a bad thing? Can you really change your personality?

I檓 currently a student training at a hospital. I檓 the type of person who檚 very introvert %26amp; passive, sweet, kind-hearted, etc. ?which I檝e learned to be rather a huge disadvantage in this kind of working environment. Sometimes people would talk crap about me, about how passive I am %26amp; I檓 scared to get involved in this and that, etc. Today I talked to one of my classmates %26amp; she told me that I need to step up %26amp; be tough so I can survive in this field, and also so people could stop messing with me. I檝e come a long way %26amp; I檝e been trying very hard myselfut it檚 always easy said than done, I don檛 want to be passive like thisut at the same time, it can檛 be changed overnight either.



How do you really change yourself in this kind of situation? I檝e talked to this one person %26amp; she told me she used to be real quite %26amp; passive. One day she just got sick of people pushing her around, so she檚 like 180 degrees opposite now. She said she doesn檛 smile much anymore %26amp; now people檚 first impression about her is that she檚 mean %26amp; no one messes with her as much like before anymore?I don檛 know how on earth I can go that far, I can檛 even imagine itut it檚 definitely a plus when needed.Is being passive a bad thing? Can you really change your personality?
Being innately passive and trying to stand up for yourself can stand as two different things. Being passive is what your natural personality is; standing up for yourself is an assertion mechanism. Taking this into consideration, a passive person like you can choose to be tough and still retain the submissiveness within.



Like oil and water, being passive and asserting yourself might not mix, but generally the two can still be put in the same place without ruining either. You don't have to drastically change yourself for your peers; also think on whether you'll be happy staying tough or not.



Why not try asserting your passiveness on your workmates? Bully them around a bit (but not violently) and tell them off about how that's what you really are. Find a way to make fire in the rain. =DIs being passive a bad thing? Can you really change your personality?
Realize that if you don't stand up for yourself you will taken advantage of and dumped on. I think you should realize that there's nothing to fear when standing up for yourself because you are doing it for your own emotional/mental well being. This probably stems from wanting to please others and sometimes if people realize this they will take advantage of you. Soooo....try and overcome that fear one step at a time.



Are you a Libra? hahaha!! Just kidding with you!!!



- Ryan M...that's hilarious. Good for you for standing up though. I've known many male Libra's who don't stand up for themselves...and avoid situations. I respect the fact that you learned to stand up :) Also, I have found that many Libra's are known for being passive but there are also one's who do have a bite to them and don't fear telling it how it is. The more sensitive one's are passive- I think*
Just try it. It can actually be fun sometimes. I used to/am kind of like that and it's nice to be assertive every once in a while. For one thing it will surprise those people who have been talking about you behind your back, and will have them tripping over their own words to figure out what's going on.



Changing overnight is hard, but you don't have to change overnight. Just try to be more assertive here and there and people will notice.



Sounds like your friend got sick of people taking advantage of her personality, so she decided she wouldn't give them the opportunity anymore, good for her. (Although you don't have to stop smiling :) even though it can be effective haha.)



So just try being a little assertive for once and don't go overboard, no one wants to become a jerk.



And hey nature, I am a libra, are we all supposed to be like that lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment