Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My car gets hot instantly when i come to an idle?

was wondering if it could be the thermostat and how hard is that to change yourself? its a 2001 eclipse spyder gs convert...My car gets hot instantly when i come to an idle?
If your car is cool when driving, and only hot when idling, the odds are your electric cooling fans aren't turning on.

When the car get's hot, pop the hood and see if the cooling fans are spinning. (Watch your fingers!)



You don't overheat when driving,because air is automatically being forced through the radiator as you move.



The two reasons for a fan to not start are

1. The fan motor is burned out. Solution: replace fan

2. The fan relay switch is stuck in the open position. Solution: replace relay switch.My car gets hot instantly when i come to an idle?
You may also have a cracked radiator, which will of course result in low coolant levels. This happened to me and I did not realize it for a few days. Luckily, no damage was done to my engine, but I did have to have the radiator replaced.
The electric fan switch is defective or you are low on coolant. Check these first. Turn on your AC...the fans should turn on,,,if they dont , its the fan relay or switch.

No comments:

Post a Comment