Saturday, November 20, 2010

Can you change parts of your personality over time?

For instance, could you slowly change yourself from an introvert to an exovert, more charming, etc and actually ingrain it into your personality? If so, how can someone go about doing this?Can you change parts of your personality over time?
Absolutely. My personality has definitely evolved/changed over time, much of it by design. If there was a part of my personality that did not serve me well, I made a conscious effort to make different choices in my behavior. When I made the changes, I received positive reinforcement, which in turn reinforced the behavior. (It's all behavior modification, after all.)



I used to be much more temperamental, and I am now a pretty relaxed, laid back personality. I basically identified the ';triggers'; for my temper, and modified my responses. What was amazing was how quickly I was able to do it. The most difficult part of the process was learning to ignore the old ego and move forward with the changes.Can you change parts of your personality over time?
You can change the way you act, but you can't change who you are.
I would like to think so. Change should be possible with enough effort, right? I don't think someone's personality is fixed and written in stone.
Just try to change some of your habits one or two at the time. After a bit they become natural and then move on to the next step. Just like with diet and exercise.
well i never smiled then i started being annoyingly optimistic and happy so i went to a happy medium between the two.
I don't know what an introvert or an exovert are but I can tell you that it is possible to change your personality... very possible. The way it happened to me was through a ';falling out'; in 7th grade. I changed in to a completely different person.
Definitely by utilizing help topics in school, services provided at work and, by having a good support person or group ( God and church).
Personality is a genetic trait. We can't change our personality, but we can certainly change how we cope with situations that affect our personality. For instance, If I am know that I have a Type A personality, I can learn to cope with my anger, take occasional cleansing breaths, get a hobby, find a loving wife who can tame the wild beast and live happily ever after... An introvert will be an introvert as long as he/she lives. The introvert can learn how to adapt to situations that involve dealing with others. Behavior modification, practice, getting into controlled situations before going into the ';real-life scenarios are some techniques to learn.
Get interested in other people and listen to them without judgment. That will change your relationship with most of the people in your environment and that will change your personality.

I used to be one of the most confrontational people in my job in San Diego. After i started to do this, I became one of the calmest because I can usually find a mutual solution without war. People tell me my personality has changed a lot.
you can but it takes time. you can't change another person though.
Yes, you can, all you have to do is try.
Sure you can. I am nowhere like how I used to be in school. In fact I've made a complete turnaround within the past two years. For my journey, it came with accepting Jesus as my Lord and Savior. I didn't conform to religion, though. Instead I just worked on building my relationship with God. I didn't even know I was changing my personality until it was staring me in the face... literally. I was looking in the mirror and didn't even recognize myself. I was happy.



Other ways you can go about change is to change your habits and your environment.
it's just like peeing in the toilet not your pants or riding a bike. do it enough and it becomes natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment